Sunday, August 28, 2011

“A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes” ~ Mark Twain

OK, so I totally lied about updating you about my summer and posting earlier this week.  I am a liar and a lazy bum... BUT I AM ON THE MEND (that doesn't sound like the right way to say that but I can't come up with anything else)! I will do better in the future!  I did so well last year I am sure I can do the same this year!

So, I arrived in Copenhagen on Saturday after lunch, took the train to Nybro and tried not to sleep past my stop.  While at the airport I saw a glass blower, some guy that I saw blowing last year at Pukeburg.  And, we rode the same train, which I guess isn't that surprising.  Anyway, I was too wimpy to go up and talk to him... what would I say?  "I saw you blowing glass last year, it was cool.... I like your beard?!" No, instead I was lame in another way and kept my mouth shut and tried not to embarrass myself in case I did ever see him again. 

Sunday I met my new landlady and her husband, they run the Vandrarhem.  They are super nice and helped me get internet and explained the overly complicated oven to me.  I went to a cook out at the lake with Sigrid, Vegard and the kids.  Thankfully they fed me so I hardly had any food in my house! 

Slowly through the week more and more students arrived and we regularly got to together and caught up on our summers.  I took my car to the shop to be inspected and get a new battery (if it passes inspection).  Getting the car to the shop took a few tries.  First, Vegard jump started the car, I got in it to drive around the charge the battery and instantly stalled out.  So, I had to call Vegard to come and jump it again.  Mildly embarrassing but, wait, it gets better.  The next day I was a bit hungover and went out to drive the car to the garage, it clicked and then didn't start.  I tried a few times but nothing happened.  I was too tired to think of anything else but going back to bed... So, a few days later I got Vegard to come back over and jump it again during our lunch break.  Instantly stalled out again and had to get rejumped.  This time it was even more embarrassing... we went to the garage, left the car and came back home.  So, after multiple incredibly obvious bad driving examples on my part the car is now at the garage where it may or may not pass inspection.  

We started school on Wednesday, we had boring information session in the morning and discussed schedules and etc then were told to go home for the rest of the day! It was only 12! Vegard and I decided to ask the teachers to let us blow some after lunch.  It was great to get back into the glass again.  We blew giant bubbles trying to use up some of the bubbly green glass.  The glass seemed a little hotter then it did in June, but I guess my skin is just not as tough after a few months at the horse barn.

Thursday we blew into molds all day.  It was great to be doing it again, but my hands and cheeks got tired.  We made tons of bowls and glasses for the cold shop for the new students to practice cutting on and etc.  I haven't seen them but I think some of them turned out good.  I think we might be doing the same thing nearly all next week to keep getting our hands and brains working again. Bla, I can only do molds for so long...  

Friday we took a field trip to Johansfors where they had a neat museum and exhibition,  Malin Mena's hot shop which was located in an old water tower and Boda which has been reopened and now has a museum, glass lab and Christopher Ramsey's hot shop in it. I took pictures, but you will have to wait for those because more excitingly, I have pictures of my new place to show you instead!

Today being Saturday I got lost in the woods and had to walk around for FOREVER.  I was by the lake and I was super hot so I stood in the water in my rubber boots thinking it might cool my feet down... instead I learned that my rubber boots have holes in them.  Awesome.  Also, I didn't find a single cantarell and picked some bad berries thinking they were lingon.  So, I went home with some flowers (I figured they were safe and wouldn't kill me accidently) and cleaned and unpacked my stuff and took some pictures for you!

My new place:
 This apple tree is in the front yard and literally dumps this many apples on the ground daily! It is insane and tasty!!  I bet the horses at the barn will be happy to see me :)
 Walking up the little hill to the door.  The one of the left is my front door.

 Those are my windows! I have three all together, I am going to be so spoiled after this.
 The view from the door!
 You can put your shoes and etc here!
 My kitchen table!
 My tiny kitchen, where today I made delicious spaghetti!
 Maybe the world's smallest fridge.  They told me I could use a bigger one if I need more space in the next door building.
 Ok, back to the door and table and stuff.
 My bedroom!
 Desk and fancy chair that Kirsten left for me!
 Tiny chest of drawers and tv.
 Sweet couch and extra bunk bed in the room.
 The view from my desk.
 My bed!! 
 View from the other window.
 And the closets! Lots of closets!!
 And of course my pictures hanging.
And the super safe flowers in the pitcher I made last year! Tres pretty!

I am very happy here and I promise I will keep you updated on life here in Orrefors with more regularity.


  1. I am going to be reading The Help very soon too! And love that you have our blurry picture up :) looks lovely and still almost summery. I want to come back and visit. Miss you tons! Mwa Mwa!

  2. Glad you are back in Orrefors even though I miss you! Wow your new place looks great!!!